Okayy, So I spent some time trying to get ubuntu to play out .wmv files, it took me a little while to figure that out. Here is how:
1) First you need to download an adequate player. I Personally use “mplayer”
- You can use synaptic manager and search for it.
- Or, you could download it using this command ” sudo apt-get install mplayer”
2) Now, Let’s install some packages from medibuntu. For those who don’t know what medibuntu is:
“Medibuntu (Multimedia, Entertainment & Distractions In Ubuntu) is a repository of packages that cannot be included into the Ubuntu distribution for legal reasons (copyright, license, patent, etc).”
- To download this packages, we use: “sudo wget –output-document=/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/$(lsb_release -cs).list && sudo apt-get –quiet update && sudo apt-get –yes –quiet –allow-unauthenticated install medibuntu-keyring && sudo apt-get –quiet update”
Quite a large command xD.
3) You could also download these additional codecs ” sudo apt-get install w32codes libdvdcss2″ and if your system is 64 bits, replace 32 with 64
4) Now for our final blow, type these two commands:
- sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/install-css.sh
- sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras
I hope this helps =).
Have a good day!!